Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tiny Tuesday - First Day Eve

Midget block 9 Is called Cactus Bloom and it is an applique pattern. I usually use freezer paper for applique.

After cutting out the pattern with freezer paper, I iron it to the wrong size and then glue the seam allowance down.
I left a little flap open for the extra leaves so that I could tuck them under the top part. That seemed to help so that I didn't get gaps between the pieces. When it was done I trimmed away the extra backing and pulled out the paper.
Here it is all finished up.
If you are thinking about doing the Midget blocks someday, make sure you head over to Sentimental Stitches before the first blocks get retired at the en of the month.
Today is my first day of school with students. I think everything is ready to go. There is a Girl Scout leader meeting tonight, but otherwise things are pretty calm.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Ooooo...good tip about the little flap! See...this is why I'm REALLY allowing you to get them done faster than me :0) You post the shortcuts and tips, and I can learn from them ;0)

Happy First Day of School!

Judy D in WA said...

Hope your first day back to school is fabulous! I love all of your blocks! and you tips are great too! This is going to be a fabulous quilt!

Candace said...

I agree with Judy. Your little blocks all look great and I'm sure they are fun to do, at least after they're done and you get to look and think I did that!

Andee said...

WOW...I am really enjoying you and Amy doing all the work on these little midget blocks!

Darling Jill Quilts said...

It looks awesome!! Applique is definitely NOT my favorite thing to do and I am going to have to force myself to get those blocks done.