Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Crazy Person


It's been crazy busy around here, and any sane person would have buckled down and started working on the list of things that must be done now. Instead I'm puttering away on this and that, as if I had no deadlines ahead. My school (for the first time ever) is taking a winter break next week. Just like spring break, but this year we get both. My husband and I scheduled a cruise, and my mother-in-law has been wonderful enough to volunteer to come and stay with my kids who don't get the week off. Vacations should be relaxing, but instead, I'm trying to get everything finished off before we leave --thinking that the house should be in some sort of reasonable shape before I hand it over for the week. The guest bedroom has started collecting everything, not just my quilting, but now the OM junk as well. I had it all beatiful, and then we started doing stuff again. That's always the problem. The doing stuff makes the house a wreck.

I've been plowing steadily through my scrap basket during the odd down moments this week. I got a bunch of stuff ironed last weekend and started slicing it. I was lucky enough to inherit bunches of scraps from our neighbor who moved away recently. I'm focusing on 2 inch strips to go into my scrappy irish chain. I've picked this one as my February project. I think I will make it into a twin size quilt because I'm contemplating a new charity project. Another Girl Scout troop is working on their gold award and helping to get a local shelter ready to open again after a recent transformation. They are cleaning and painting and decorating. Before I even knew what I was thinking, the first thing that popped out of my mouth was, "Do they need quilts?" We made 40 lap sized quilts for Christmas, how hard could 23 twin sized quilts be? This one is still in the planning stages, but I've been turning it around in my head for a couple of days now. I have some vauge idea about kitting up a bunch of happy square blocks and hosting an intermediate quiltmaking session for the girls who enjoyed the first quilt making experience.

I am seriously a crazy person. I've just lost a girl scout leader at my school, another troop is having a crisis, my own cookie mom dropped out on me, so I'm frantically arranging all of that while trying to get ready for a cruise and a visit from my mother-in-law. I'm giving two tests tomorrow and I'd better get those written or my students will be seriously disappionted. So how did I spend my evening? Any reasonable person would have been handlling the urgent list. I was peacefully ironing some yardage so that I could get it put away before the weekend. I'm not just crazy, I'm also oblivious. Not exactly an effective way to deal with stress, but I guess it's better than freaking out.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Okay, crazy would be one word........here are a few more:
batty, bizarre, cuckoo, demented, deranged, frenzied, idiotic, impractical, insane, irrational, irresponsible, loony, mad, nuts, nutty, off one’s rocker, of unsound mind, out of one’s mind, preposterous, psychotic,raving, screwy, senseless, unhinged, unsettled, wild, wacko!

BUT, good for you to keep some SANE "stress-relieving" practice with yourself. The rest will get done in due time :0)

When do you leave for vaca? Just like last time, be sure to save some room in your suitcase to smuggle me onto the ship!

Amanda said...

I think the phrase 'displacement activities' comes to mind! Leave the clearing up for your MIL, she'll love to do it and it will make her feel good - and what else is she to do while the children are at school. She'd probably love to iron and fold all your fabric too. Have a great holiday.

Tamara Lund D.C. said...

You are crazy like a fox. We have to have coping mechanisms. I also find I keep sane by sitting down with my projects. My 7yo just joined Daisies I guess I will experience the cookie thing. Enjoy your cruise.

Julie said...

All I can say is AAAAHHHHH! But don't worry, it will get done. So sorry some of the people you were counting on dropped out on you.