Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Blocks Done


Say yay to me! I finished off the blocks for my leader and ender Scrappy Irish Chain. I think I could have finished quite a while ago if I hadn't made twice as many blocks as I needed. I guess I need a quick math lesson -- or a stern reminder not to do math after 1 a.m. Still, the blocks are officially done. I'll get them picked up into rows so I can chain the top together tomorrow. Check out the subtle variations of light medium and dark -- impressive right? The four patches are medium and dark with two patches holding them together in a medium and light arrangement. Then another pair of two patches are joined with a dark square to hold those two rows together. I think I could have strip pieced these puppies lickety split, but that would have defeated the idea of leaders and enders I guess. And on the bright side, I've got enough four patches to make at least one more quilt, I saw one in a catalog with poison green sashing and thought about trying that out. I'm still pondering the shelter quilt project, if I do end up taking it on, this one could be number one out of 23.
Today was a busy day at school, I was getting obseved for my anual evaluation. The student were a little edgy to have someone else in the room. As much as you try to do things the same way you usually would, it is hard to do when you know someone is watching. Kind of like trying to breathe normally while thinking about breathing. There are some goings on at school that might impact the scheduling for next year, I'm not sure how it will all work out yet, but it could result in some changes in my course load. We've got a short schedule for Ash Wednesday tomorrow and all the seniors are gone on Thursday for a field trip, so the week is almost over even though it's only Tuesday. 5 more weeks and 3 more days 'till spring break, not that anyone is counting of course.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Way to whip those babies out! It's going to look great! I just LOVE irish chains!!!!

I was ALSO eval'd this week from our new principal. I wouldn't have been nervous (because I'm only involved with just about EVERY possible committee at our school---he knows me VERY WELL by now)....BUT, it was a new lesson and I wasn't sure how it was going to fly. Little did I know that he only stuck around for the first 10 minutes----I didn't even get to the "new" part of the lesson yet. Didn't matter---it was successful; I always do an "Exit card" with new concepts to see if the students picked up on the concept. 88% of them scored correct on it, so......woo-hooo. Acceptable.

Oh, listen to me babble on......

OH! OH! AND!!! Spring Break??!?!?? What is THAT? Seriously, you had more C'mas break than me! Grrrr #1. You just had a FULL WEEK off for "winter break". Grrrr #2! And now---a Full week at Spring break?!?!?!!? GRRRRRRR #3! Yeah....we get half day Friday and all day Monday off around the Easter weekend. THAT'S our big Spring Break. PLUS!!! Didn't I hear you say you'll be done at the end of May??? GRRRRRRRR #4!!! We are done the first Friday of June.

Ah....really no biggy. All taken with a grain of salt. I have turned into a classic 'ol "enjoy the summers off" teacher!!! (Even though I have 3 or 4 weeks fully scheduled for credits this summer)....

Oh my---there I go babbling again. I suppose I could have just emailed all this to you instead of burning up Blogger space.....

oh well...

Happy Wednesday!