Saturday, January 10, 2009

18 is less than 26


My last long training run was 23 miles. It went so well, I was sure that 26 would happen just as easily. I should have stopped to consider a few small facts, I spent most of the week sick, preventing from running much this week, and I'm still not back to 100%. I was doing pretty well for the first 15 miles or so. Then I started to get tired. Really tired. I know it seems silly to complain about being tired after running 15 miles, but I still had 11 more to go! Meisje and I met up with Tom at that point and I kept plodding along, but I could see myself falling further and further behind. Then my legs turned into lead and I couldn't keep caught up on breathing. When I started to get nauseous and dizzy, I finally gave up and called it quits right before mile 18. No 26 mile training run for me. I still have 4 weeks until the marathon, theoretically I have time for another long training run, but both of the next two weekends are booked already so I'm running out of time in a hurry. Sorry for the quality on the picture above. It is a picture of a picture from the Space Coast Marathon on Thanksgiving weekend. It's been great to have friends to run with. I would have given up long ago if I was out there on my own.


I got showered and had lunch when I got home and then puttered around with some more double delight blocks. All of the double nine patches have been happily complete for a while now, but I'm moving along slowly on the rolling stars. There are a lot of points on that puppy that need to be matched. I'm not one of those "perfect point" people, but the mistakes in this one really seem to pop out. There is also a lot of bulk at the seems where the points meet, so I'm trying to work with that as well. Still, I'm just about to get it tackled. I was running out of pink and didn't have enough to cut the setting triangles, so I put in an order to connecting threads for some pinks and some thread. I had to add a couple of more odds and ends to the cart to get to the $50 minimum for free shipping. That came in yesterday and now it is washed and ready to go. I could get this puppy finished this weekend if I am very lucky.


I promised to take the kids to see a movie in the morning tomorrow, and we are driving to Orlando for dinner. We don't usually drive to Orlando for dinner, but there is a story there. I got a call from a long lost college friend of Thursday. Grant is in town for the weekend to run the Disney Marathon! I didn't even know that Grant was running, I never would have guessed it. I hadn't talked to him in almost 5 years, it was great to hear from him again. I'm glad he's better at keeping in touch than I am, he filled me in on the happenings of all of our old college friends, so it was a bit of a walk down memory lane for me. I'm looking forward to seeing him again and to meeting Sarah, his wife.

1 comment:

Amy said...

ANGELA! You don't NEED to get a 26'er in! Seriously, IMHO you have put in enough long runs to suffice! You've run at least 20....that should be sufficient; so feel good and relaxed that you have prepared yourself! You yourself KNOWS that rest is just as important as the miles of training. Your body is ready---give it the bit of rest it needs before moving into the LOVELY taper! The "finish line" is in sight--stay smart now to stay healthy so you can actually reach the real finish line!

AND---now YOU put ME to shame! After beating up your already tired body, you go and work on a quilt?!?!? How did you even find the energy? I must not have read that closely because you MUST have taken a nap or rested somewhat!

The DD looks absolutely lovely! Yes, it is pretty, and yes, I may take it on someday. But for now, I will admire yours and save that project for when I need a "new" project to do. Hmmmm...however, that DOES look very feminine! That may just end up being the Graduation quilt pattern for my babysitter. (maybe....)
Happy Monday