Wednesday, August 20, 2008

You Have GOT to be Joking!




They have just canceled school for tomorrow. That's the third day of missed school! The first day is fun. The second day isn't quite as fun and the kids are getting a little grumpy from being inside too much. The third day may just do us all in. This isn't even a hurricane! What are we going to do when we get a real storm? Three days lost for a simple tropical storm. Please pardon my emotional explosion. We've played board games and video games, made pizza and cookies, played in the rain and had pajama parties and play dates. What exactly are we going to do for day three?
I could stay home forever. I could quilt and read and snuggle with hot chocolate and cozy quilts for days on end. My three kids are not quite as mellow. They need to be entertained, organized, doing something. Am I allowed to tell them to go to their rooms and stay there until school starts again? I didn't think so. I'm guessing we'll be breaking out heavy duty arts and crafts within the next few hours. I asked Kurt to come home from work with junk food and alcohol. That should help some I think.


Now, onto important topics. I got some bits and pieces of my borders put together. I've got solid strips and flying geese units. I had originally thought I'd do geese flying out of opposite corners with solid strips filling in the rest of the space. My other thought is that I could do a single row of geese on two sides, one going up on the left, and the other going down on the right. I'm not sure about the color balance as the geese are darker than the plain strips. Any thoughts?

3 comments:

Donna said...

I kinda like the fact the geese are darker.... adds a little more movement to the border in my opinion...

I know on long (as in several days long) car trips the sanity saver was to have a stockpile of cheap toys/books etc that were new to DS... they were wrapped individually in coloured comics before we went, and placed in a bin. Once an hour the timer would "ding" and he could pick ONE new toy... at least there was something novel to entertain a few minutes... Might work for the next storm...

Hang in there. (and NOT with a noose!)

Karen said...

I like the flying geese as they are. I think you have made a very good border for the quilt.

I hope you get those kids back to school soon. Must be really hard having them home when they should be at school and having them in the house continually. I think we have seen the worst of the storm now. Hope the flooding recedes soon. I know you got mroe rain than we did.

Amanda said...

I think THEY are going soft these days. We had the same thing last year when we had a few inches of snow. Schools all around us were shutting down, but we had about half the staff who made it in and half the children and had a great day. Is the junk food and alcohol for the kids? I wouldn't blame you. Here's hoping that it passes over soon and you keep your sanity.